Magnitude of the Crisis
The following media reports highlight the loss of human life and morbidities suffered by those few who are fortunate enough to survive many weeks on ventilator support:
So many more deaths than we could have ever imagined.'
This is how America's largest city deals with its dead
Updated 8:40 PM ET, Sun May 3, 2020
The corononavirus death toll has overwhelmed health care workers, morgues, funeral homes, crematories and cemeteries. Body bags pile up across the city that became epicenter of the pandemic. Though the city doubled to about 2,000 its capacity to store bodies, funeral homes are still turning down cremations because they can't hold onto the bodies.
1) Nearly all Covid-19 patients put on ventilators in New York's largest health system died, study finds
2) After ICU, Coronavirus Patients’ Ordeal Is Far From Over
Covid-19 puts the sickest people on ventilators. The experience can make for a tough recovery; like ‘being buried alive
3) As Coronavirus Deaths Surge, New York City Allows Cremations 24 Hours a Day
Some crematory operators are handling triple the number of bodies they would on a typical day; a plea for cardboard caskets Weinhaus and ventilator
4) Up to 60 bodies found in four trucks outside Brooklyn funeral home dozens of bodies found in trucksoutside funeral home.
Four trucks containing as many as 60 bodies have been discovered outside a Brooklyn funeral home after someone reported fluids dripping from the trucks..., (funeral home) was overwhelmed and ran out of room for bodies, which were awaiting cremation…
5) Remembering the Nearly 100,000 Lives Lost to Coronavirus in America.
New York Times publishes names of 1,000 lives lost to coronavirus
6) Many of the 1.7 million Americans who've contracted coronavirus deal with lingering symptoms and a life unrecognizable from the one they had before.
Oregon's 1st coronavirus patient released from hospital after months
After more than two months in the hospital, the first Oregon resident to test positive for coronavirus was released to cheers and a mariachi parade. Calderon has been taken to a nursing facility to finish up his recovery and to get physical therapy.